Monday, September 21, 2009

Attack of the Mantis!


I took Emmitt to a new park today that's walking distance of our place. I found all the usual signs of a park I'd like to frequent: 1) Nobody there (strangers suck when the canned small talk runs out), 2) plenty of stuff to play on, 3) no graffiti that is recognizable as a really bad gang tag, 4) awesome, random wild life.


When Emmitt was playing on the slides, a mantis rolled up and parked right next to him. He took off quick, then turned around to poke at it with a stick. I can't remember the last time I saw one of these things, but they're cool with the multi-jointed limbs. They look like their limbs are articulate enough to pick up a pencil and write a note saying something like, "Stop screwin' with me and put that stick down."

3 comments:

  1. That is some pretty good photog skills with the close-up! I love Emmitt's expression in that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that Rubino Park? We used to frequent that park too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is Rubino Park. More ants there than wood chips.

    ReplyDelete