Monday, June 1, 2009

Belated Memorial Day Remembrance

We took yet another trip to a historic naval vessel last weekend to enjoy the WWII battleship USS Massachusetts (again).  Look reeeaaallly hard and you'll see all of us sitting on the waterbreak under the big guns.  The ship was having a belated Memorial Day ceremony where they took time to remember the fallen with some moving speeches, a wreath toss over the side, and a 21 shot salute from one of the 5 inch gun mounts.  


We got there a little early, and we had fun watching Emmitt climb a bunch of things and clown around for pictures.  





The ceremony was great, and I appreciated seeing the Sea Cadets and Boy Scouts helping out.  Even after the years I've been out of the Marines, I still can't resist snapping to attention for the National Anthem and gettin' a little emotional when Taps plays.




He kept telling us that it was a "big boat" over and over again.  He's seen video of the big guns shooting, and he can't say "big boat" without adding "boom, boom."  I was hoping Emmitt would enjoy watching the "big boat, daddy, big boat!" go "boom, boom daddy!"  



I watched with an appreciative smile plastered on my face, but.... 


... Emmitt was slightly less appreciative.   Alas, the first shot sent him into a panic and Michelle had to take him back to the stern of the ship for the duration of the shoot.  He recovered quickly, but was ready to go after that.  Admittedly, it was pretty stinkin' loud.  The organization puts on a great ceremony and works really hard to maintain the ship.  We had a great time, and it was humbling to remember those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our way of life.  

After quite a big morning, we decided it was time to disembark and head back to base.

No comments:

Post a Comment